Volunteering: Pet Therapy Program
Based on information from research groups (and from our very own patients!), it is quite clear that visits from specially trained doggie friends can help with the healing process. These caring canines offer comfort and diversion at the bedside for large and small patients alike.
In order to qualify for this program, your dog must:
- Be at least one year of age.
- Have all vaccinations current.
- Know and obey basic obedience commands.
Owners (age 18 and over, please) and their dogs must also:
- Perform well at a basic “Challenge” test
- Attend several hours of workshops and hospital trainings as well as complete an apprenticeship program
- Be certified annually through Therapy Dogs, Inc., at a cost of $20.
All Breeds Welcome: Whether the dog is a tiny Yorkie or a lovable St. Bernard, our patients look forward to Pet Therapy visits. If you and your pooch are interested in this special program, call St. Luke’s Volunteer Office at (208) 727-8407.